12 Ways to Use Pesto!!
1. Spread on Sandwiches or in Wraps instead of using Mayo or butter.
2. Instead of Pizza Sauce Using pesto instead of tomato sauce adds an entirely different layer of flavor to homemade pizza.
3. Cold Grain Salads – Try stirring a spoonful of pesto into your next batch of rice salad or any grain salad. It adds a great flavor burst.
4. On Bruschetta – A smear of pesto topped with your favorite bruschetta mixture on a slice of baguette is a appetizers.
6. Made into Vinaigrette – Thinned with a little more oil or vinegar, you have a quick vinaigrette for summer salads.
7. Sauce for Grilled Meats – Pesto goes amazingly well with grilled chicken and fish.
8. Made into Pesto Bread – Before shaping the loaf of bread, spread a little pesto on the inside. Great for dinner rolls, too!
9. Tossed with Veggies – Instead of butter, use a dab of pesto to garnish your side vegetables.
10. Garnish for Soups. Place a little pesto on top of soups to add extra flavor.
11. Add to an omelette or frittata.
12. Pesto freezes well. Put it in ice cube trays and pull one out when you want to liven up a small portion of pasta or soup.
Healthy Pizza Toppings
Options include whole wheat pitas- such as Ezekiel, English muffins, whole wheat or corn tortillas, whole wheat pizza crust dough (Festival makes one), pre-made whole wheat crust, try something new- make a cauliflower pizza crust!
homemade pizza sauce, pesto, drizzle balsamic vinegar over pizza, top with salsa, or spread with a layer of hummus.
Garlic, Mushrooms, Spinach, Red and Yellow Onions, Tomatoes, Sun dried tomatoes, Zucchini, Bell peppers, Roasted red peppers, Artichoke hearts, Avocado, Broccoli, Pineapple, Basil, Parsley, Cilantro.
BE CREATIVE! Try a buffalo cauliflower pizza. Try a taco pizza with salsa, black beans and the following: chopped tomatoes, onions, cilantro, avocado, olives, and crushed Garden of Eatin’ Pico de Gallo chips. Try a wild mushroom and pesto pizza.